Turkish Residence Permit Types
Depending on the visa type you hold, the purpose of application and the intended period of residence in Turkey, you can apply for one of the following residence permits:
Short-term residence permit
- for scientific research
- to establish commercial connections or business
- to participate in an in-service training program
- for educational or similar purposes in the framework of student exchange programs;
- for tourism purposes
- to receive medical treatment given that you do not carry one of the diseases which are considered as a threat to public health
- to attend Turkish learning courses
- You are a citizen of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Student residence permit
You can get a student residence permit if you are in Turkey under the purpose of enrolling in primary or secondary education. If you already have a family residence permit you will not need this one.
You will be eligible to apply for this residence also if you are planning to study at the levels of associate degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate, specialty training in medicine (TUS), and specialty training in dentistry (DUS) in a higher education institution in Turkey.
Family residence permit
A family residence permit can be granted the foreign spouse of a Turkish national, his/her minor children and his/her dependent foreign child. The sponsor must have enough income to support those applying for a residence permit in order for them to get the permit.
Long-term residence permit
If you have resided in Turkey for at least eight years uninterruptedly, under a residence permit issued by the Turkish authorities, then you can lodge an application for Turkish long-term permit which has an indefinite validity.
Note that if you have resided in Turkey for the specified period as a refugee, conditional refugee and secondary protection status holders, humanitarian residence permit holders and temporary protection you are not eligible to apply.